Robyn's Book Journal

If anyone is looking for a good book to read, or a good book to avoid, maybe I can help you! **If you have also read the book, leave a comment! What did YOU think of it?

My Photo
Name:
Location: Vancouver, B.C., Canada

Monday, March 31, 2008

Eat, Pray, Love - Elizabeth Gilbert

Fist of all, let me get this out of the way - I recommend this book.
A true account of a woman's journey from divorce, through Italian pleasure and Indian enlightenment, all the way to relaxation and new-found love in Bali. Gilbert writes in such a casual, honest way that I felt like I knew this woman in real life when I finished the book. I want to know this woman in real life!
Ok. Some hesitations...during the second part of the 3-part story line, Gilbert is at a yoga/meditation retreat for 3 months. I loved reading about her ideas, realizations, and enlightening experiences with God, about God, and for God. While I struggle with the same queries and doubts that Elizabeth goes through, I understand that many people out there actually have a clear image of who their God is, and what he/she does and why. So, I wonder how these people, who are not confused and looking for religious insight, as I seem to be so much lately, might find this portion of the story. Will you think she is being blasphemous, pretentious, stupid, brainwashed, hippified??
Second, I think that although Gilbert really is just trying to be honest, she makes huge generalizations about the people and cultures of Italy, India, and Indonesia (Bali). I have never been any of these places, so maybe her observations are true. But sometimes I found the generalizations a little hard to believe. Let me know if you have read this book AND lived in one of these places so that I know if she's being cute and honest, or horribly pretentious and judgmental.
Now, I've used the word pretentious twice in this review. But this book really is anything but. Gilbert's friendly, sincere, endearing account of this year of her life is another must-read for the list. Especially if you think that your life needs a change - be inspired!!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home