Robyn's Book Journal

If anyone is looking for a good book to read, or a good book to avoid, maybe I can help you! **If you have also read the book, leave a comment! What did YOU think of it?

My Photo
Name:
Location: Vancouver, B.C., Canada

Wednesday, October 18, 2006

Tortilla Flat - John Steinbeck

From one great John to another (John Grisham to John Steinbeck, and stay tuned for my review of John Irving's A Prayer For Owen Meany!).
I always forget that I love Steinbeck. While reading his books, there are so many "Aha" moments and "I couldn't have said it better myself" thoughts. This book is no different.
Four poor men's lives change when one of them inherits two houses. Out of the forest and under two (and later one) roof, these friends take people in, kick people out, and are always on the lookout for another jug of wine. Exposing the greats, and the flaws, of wine and friendship, the story ends with a great celebration of both that leads to a tragic event that no one could have predicted.
Jenny commented that she couldn't tell whether or not I liked the books I write about. If I don't like it, you'll know. I recently stopped reading a book that I wasn't enjoying, so I'm not going to write about it! I'll give it another chance when I am not so swamped reading so much that I don't enjoy for school! For now, only great books for me! And Tortilla Flat is a great book (and short!!)

2 Comments:

Blogger juniper said...

hey robyn- thanks for the comments on my comics, i'm always looking for a good book so i'm gonna definately check out your reviews!
cheers!

October 18, 2006 11:45 PM  
Blogger jenny said...

yay. i love steinbeck too! i'll check this one out for sure. remember reading east of eden in bernie's class? that was rad. see you this weekend you bookworm.

October 19, 2006 9:48 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home